Friday, August 15, 2008

Berlin

My first few days in Berlin have been really relaxing. I'm still jet lagged, but only because everyone in my new house stays up until all hours of the night. Last night I went to bed early, which was 2am, and everyone else was still awake. For some reason, though, I still woke up at 3pm today.
The nights have been really full. It's been incredibly nice, but I think it will tone down now, because Ruth and Johannes went to Norway for two weeks.
1st Day: I arrived at about noon, with one of my bags missing. I got to the house, showered, then went to a big thrift store with Ruth and Johannes. They went to another store, I went home and slept for an hour. We, Lea, and Wilko all ate dinner together, then went to a bar to play foosball and ping pong.
2nd Day: Woke up at 3pm, then went exploring by myself. I walked around an area called Ostkreuz, and found an internet cafe. Came home and everyone made dinner again. After a while, Ruth, Johannes, and I went to a bar on the canal, where we sat on a dock and chatted for a few hours. We came home, and I talked to Johannes alone for a bit, for the first time since I met him four years ago.
3rd Day: Woke up really late again. Read all day and listened to music, for the first time in months. I thought it would be kind of depressing, but it wasn't. Then everyone made dinner together again, and a guy from Spain came over to eat with us. He was really nice, he talked to me a lot, and I found it way easier to understand him than the native speakers.
Today: Woke up two hours ago. Took a quick shower, then went to the shopping center to buy some food, then wen to an electronics store, only to discover that they don't sell adapters for american electronics. At least I got the courage up to ask someone, though, after only 20 minutes in the store.

All in all, it's been fantastic so far. The girls I live with now want to keep living together, which is really cool. They're looking at a few places right now -- one has 4 bedrooms, and the others have 3. If they get the 4 br, I get to move into the 4th. If not, I can look on a website to find some new roommates, which would be fine also. I've been speaking a lot of German, of course, even though my roommates can all speak English really well, and because I'm using my fucking brain so much, I'm constantly exhausted.

I have the use of Ruth's computer now, since she's in Norway, so I'll be online a bit more. I can't use the internet here, because no one knows the password.

No comments: