Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Oh, the horror.

Orientations of any kind bring out the worst in those people who are already unbearably annoying. I consider myself to be a rather social person, that is, I like getting out of the house and meeting people with whom I can have a decent conversation. I'm not pretentious enough to presume that every one will be life-changing, and I enjoy them nonetheless. However, when people (particularly college students) gather into a group for the first time, there are always those girls (and yes, it's only women) who feel the need to go out of their way to make it around the room and personally introduce themselves to EVERYONE. These introductions are alway done at top speed, the girl in question trying to cram as many names into her head in record time.

The thing that irritates me to no end is that usually during these already painful orientation gatherings, you usually have to go around and say your name individually at some point. There is a way to learn everyone's name in a way that is not... I don't think "vicious" is too strong a word. I personally am much more impressed by someone who comes up to me after I've announced my name to a group and begins the conversation with, "Jordan, right?" than someone who makes me repeat my name for a thirtieth time after it was crowded out by all the others she just HAD to learn.

So, yeah. Today was my first day of orientation. Everyone's American, some seem to be annoying, and the second person I met was from Sacramento. It's pretty much exactly the same as when I started at USF, only this time I had to travel 40 minutes to the misery instead of it living with me. That's a rather negative bright side, but I dig it.

I am now drinking tea in my apartment while my roommate paints in the other room, and I still don't have any money. I wish I could burn banks down long-distance.

No comments: