Monday, November 17, 2008

Blatent sexism is hilarious.

Foreign language textbooks say the darndest things. Usually I spend my time in German class flipping through grammatical explanations, looking for names that distract me. Inevitably, they will invent people with names like Inge, Sven, Gitte (which was, by the way, my ex-roommate's name), or Dieter. Today, however, when constructing sentences that explained why Dieter does the things that he does, I could not help but notice the way in which they referred to his wife. Usually I frown upon feminist paranoia, but there was absolutely no paranoia involved in this realization. I was giggling by the end of the first sentence, and by the third and last sentence involving his wife, I was outright laughing. The sentences -- with very few grammatical liberties taken -- are:
Dieter takes care of the kids so his wife could go to the hairdresser.
Dieter doesn't go in the living room, so as not to disturb his wife and her friends, who are gossiping over coffee.
Dieter gives his wife a lot of money so she can buy clothes.

1 comment:

KTluv said...

ha! silly women always gossiping. i had a similar thought a few weekends ago. I was at a friend's house... intoxicated... and we were flipping through the channels. we stopped at a sitcom i don't know the name of. after a while i began to really hate the writers of this show. throughout the entire episode the wife is really concerned about what color to paint the bathroom. every scene she talked about it. she even came to the husband's work frantically talking about colors and showing test strips to her husband. it was like... she has nothing better to do than think about paint colors... silly woman.